Dicromantispa interrupta

Dicromantispa interrupta
Mantisfly

Monday, October 19, 2009

San Felasco State Park Bike and Hike

I did a 6-hour,12-mile bike and hike around the NE portion of San Felasco State Park Sunday yesterday, picked up some interesting GPS points. It was a good, cool day in a primo Florida mixed hardwood forest and I really enjoyed it. While sitting on the ground eating my lunch, a 4-point white-tailed deer run almost straight up to me until it saw me about 30ft away and stopped. Wide-eyed, he didn’t know at first what to do, as I remained still, but then he bounded away. The find of the day was a terrific rat snake, as best as I can figure an intergrade between the gray rat snake (Elaphe obsoleta spiloides) and the yellow rat snake (Elaphe obsolete quadrivittata). It was fully 7 feet long and 1.75 inches in diameter, perhaps the largest rat snake I have ever seen in the Florida wilds. It was stretched across the park bike trail. I stopped to photograph it and move it out of the way of further bike traffic. As I bent down to pick it up, the snake retracted into a coil beside the trail and then raised itself up into this imperious image:


Another interesting find was a nest or bedding platform, or something like that, put together by some kind of wildlife in a marsh. It was composed of the large grass (Poaceae) species dominating the marsh and did not look like it had been deposited there by running water (the marsh is in a karst-origin expansion of an otherwise well-defined stream floodplain):

2 comments:

  1. I was thinking it was a rat snake also. Surprised he let you get so close.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alan, it was cold and the snake was just being coldblooded, not even attempting to bite or release stinky when I picked it up while it was in that strike prep mode. My buds saw a cottonmouth near there a few months ago. A nice & snaky place.

    ReplyDelete