Dicromantispa interrupta

Dicromantispa interrupta
Mantisfly

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Santos Mtn Bike Trails

Santos Bike Trails are some of the best mountain bike trails in Florida, or so they say. Whatever, I like ‘em. I pedaled 11.9 miles there today in about 3:45hrs, pretty slow overall, but I had a mission: I wanted to use the GPS to track the outside trails and take waypoints at all intersections so I could locate the trails later on a Google Earth image that can be copied and taken along on the next trip. Collecting 30 waypoints definitely slowed me down, but rest assured that otherwise I boogied. I mean, what is singletrack for?

The last time I biked Santos, it was without maps and I was never sure where I was. It isn’t a big deal, but I’d rather know where I’m at. Knowing my name just isn’t enough.

The trails run through a forest that is at an early stage of plant succession dominated by fast-growing and mostly short-lived trees, incl laurel oak, water oak, live oak, loblolly pine, black cherry and sweetgum. Only a few pignut hickories and magnolias were spotted, which are longer lived species considered climax forest dominants. There were probably other eventual climax dominants present, but I was, you will remember, boogieing, and must have missed them. The woods had abundant mushrooms, the commonest of which was this orange beauty, Cantharellus ciberius, the Golden Chanterelle:

No comments:

Post a Comment