Dicromantispa interrupta

Dicromantispa interrupta
Mantisfly

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The BESG Bird Blog

For once on this blog, I post not about me or mine but about my all-time favorite blog, a birding blog maintained by the Bird Ecology Study Group of the Nature Society in Singapore. Its guiding light in writ was provided by Nobel Laureate Richard P. Feynman, a physicist and a naturalist who must have truly loved birds:

“You can know the name of a bird in all the languages of the world, but when you’re finished, you’ll know absolutely nothing whatever about the bird… So let’s look at the bird and see what it’s doing - that’s what counts. I learned very early the difference between knowing the name of something and knowing something.”

The blog is called simply the BESGroup Website, and is found at
http://besgroup.talfrynature.com/

Every day it contains posts contributed by various members of the group. The photographs are outstanding, nonpareil action shots of avians engaged in the business of life rather than shots like mine of wildlife standing still for a slow shutter. Accompanying texts are short and to the point, explaining what the birds are doing, sometimes adding to the corpus of knowledge about the species’. When I started my own blog, it was with the intention of telling the natural history stories of what I saw and occasionally succeeded in photographing. You might then imagine my delight when I found the BESG blog, as they are head-and-shoulders above my own. I urge you all to visit them every day that you can. Their blog is a masterpiece!

No comments:

Post a Comment